The Mendel Cable Car | Caldaro

How to reach the Mendel Cabel Car

With 64% inclination you may hope the technology is dependable. And to your relief: the design and construction comes from Swiss engineer, Emil Strub,opened in 1903, the Mendelbahn is regarded as the first electric powered cable car in Tyrol and is the steepest and longest continious cable car in Europe. A trip up the Mendel mountain is already an adventure. And then, there is the impressive panorama view over the Etsch river valley and the South Tyrolean Unterland.

Technical data:
course lenght: 2,37 kilometers, travel time: 12 minutes, altitude variance: 850 meters.

Fares:

Round trip 10,00 €
One way 6,00 €
Children unter 6 years free


The service of mobilcard, museumobil Card and the bikemobil Card include the trip with the Mendel Cable Car.

Note: The transport of dogs is admitted on the Mendel Cable Car. For small-size dogs there is no fee to pay. For dogs taller than 50 cm and longer than 70 cm you must pay the regular ticket price and it is obligatory to use a muzzle.

Contact:
Tourist office Kaltern
Marktplatz 8
39052 Kaltern
+39 0471-963169

Ruine of Castel Casanova | Terlano

How to reach Maultasch

The ruin of Castel Casanova , also called the ruin of Castel Maultasch, was probably built at the beginning of the 13th century as a dual fortress consisting of a road block on the road in the valley and the actual fortress at the top of the rocky promontory. Local regent Margarethe, Countess of Tirol and Duchess of Carinthia – also called Maultasch – is said to have stayed here frequently. The name “Maultasch” is said to have been used for Margarethe because of her misshapen mouth or her loose tongue.

Opening times:
Accessible at any time: yearlong

Free entry!

Contact:
Tourist Office Terlano
Piazza Dott. Weiser 2
39018 Terlano
+39 0471-257165

South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology | Bolzano

How to reach the Museum of Archaeology

Three floors of the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology are dedicated to original finds and the story of Ötzi, the Man from the Ice: from the media hype surrounding his discovery to the research into the 5,000-year-old, exceptionally well-preserved mummy and the associated items, as well as all sorts of oddities, fascinating interviews and interactive experiences. The highlight of the exhibition is a lifelike reconstruction of Ötzi himself. The top floor of the Museum hosts an annually changing exhibition of archaeological topics.

Ötzi the Iceman
Archaeologic sensation, media star, research topic, museum object:
Ötzi is a glacier mummy from the Copper Age, who, thanks to extraordinary circumstances, has been preserved down to the present day. Little by little, he has imparted genuine stores of knowledge. He was discovered accidentally by hikers in 1991, together with his clothing and equipment, on the Schnalstal/Val Senales Valley glacier and has been the subject of intensive research ever since.

A man from another era
Over 5300 years ago, Ötzi was crossing Tisenjoch/Giogo di Tisa in the Schnalstal/Val Senales Valley, South Tyrol, where he was murdered and preserved naturally in the ice.

He is, therefore, older than the Egyptian pyramids and Stonehenge and the result of a series of highly improbable coincidences. Ötzi lived during the Copper Age, a period of the late Neolithic. He was still using stone tools but owned an innovative and very valuable copper ax. The skill of extracting and processing metal had recently arrived in Europe from Asia Minor. The advent of copper marked the beginning of the Bronze Age.

Ötzi in the Museum
Ötzi and his artifacts have been exhibited at the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Bolzano, Italy since 1998.

The mummy is stored in a specially devised cold cell and can be viewed through a small window. Ötzi’s numerous pieces of equipment and clothing have been painstakingly restored. Visitors have been amazed by the skills of Stone Age people. The mummy was dubbed Ötzi by the Austrian journalist Karl Wendl, who was looking for a catchy name. The name refers to the discovery site in the Ötztal Valley Alps.

The South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology belongs to the autonomous province of Bolzano and is associated with the South Tyrol Regional Museums.


Please check this website for detailed information on opening hours and prices.

df

Contact:
South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology
Via Museo 43
39100 Bolzano
+39 0471 320100

Museum of People through Time | Kurtatsch

How to reach the Museum of People through Time

The Museum of People through Time shows the life of people in South Tyrol from the Stone Age up to the very recent past. Various epochs are illustrated using countless original objects, numerous experiments and animations. Annually changing exhibitions offer a glimpse of the large collection.


Please check this website for detailed information on opening hours and prices.

df

Contact:
Ansitz am Orth
Botengasse 2
39040 Kurtatsch
+39 0471 880267

 

The ruins of Castle Greifenstein | San Genesio

How to reach the Rruins of Castel Greifenstein

General description
First documented in 1159, the ruins were destroyed many times due to fires and battles, and have always been rebuilt. The castle ruin today bears the name “Sauschloss”, which literally translated means “pork/pig castle”, as according to a legend a pork was thrown out of the castle.

The ruins are only 15 minutes walk from the restaurant Noafer in Cologna/San Genesio.

Opening hours:
open all year

Free entrance!

Contact:
Tourist office San Genesio
Schrann 7
39050 San Genesio
+39 0471-354196

Castelfeder | Montagna

How to reach Castelfeder

Description Castelfeder:
This magic place at Montagna is perfect for recharging one’s batteries and also children love the unique landscape of the “Arcades of Tyrol”.

Castelfeder is a very interesting area above Ora at Montagna. It is a protected area featuring ponds, moors, rocks and ruins of a castle, which also gives the name to the area and which is located at the top of a 190 m high hill. Castelfeder is a place for little and big researchers, and hiking and climbing is of course a special experience in this area. Sometimes you can even come upon animals such as goats. The remainings of the castle are located at a rise and date back to early Middle Ages.
Once captures the overview you have on this hill understands the choice of this place for building the castle exactly here. The panorama is impressive and you look down on the entire Valle dell’Adige and Oltradige, Appiano and Caldaro up to Salorno. Sacrificial altars and numerous archeological findings dating back to the second millennial BC as well as a Byzantine fortress of 500 AD make Castelvetere a very interesting place for researchers.

Nowadays especially the Barbara chapel is an eye catcher (6th century). Due to the composition of the soil, which is mainly stones, an interesting flora characterise the place and there are shrubberies such as a Submediterranean coppice-wood. Particularly interesting is the flora and fauna in the marshland, lining the Castelvetere trekking path. Raised moors and low mores fascinate visitors with their extraordinarily beautiful vegetation.
We highly recommend a hike across the biotope Castelfeder, as there are lots of places ideal to recharge one’s batteries and many places for children to play.

Furthermore we recommend you:
Visit the museum in spring or autumn, or on a cloudy summer day.
Anyhow, this fabulous landscape is worth to be visited at every season. Please note there is hardly no shelter from sun.
By the way: Arcadia was a mountain and highland in antiquity and belonged to the Greek administration area of Peloponnes. It was located in the middle of the south Greek peninsula. Shielded by the rest of the world, there was a pastoral tribe that lived in keeping with nature, completely free from social burdens and troublesome work.

Contact:
Castelfeder an der Südtiroler Weinstraße Genossenschaft m.b.h
Hauptplatz 5
39040 Auer
+39 0471-810231

Castle Hocheppan | Appiano

How to reach the Castle Hocheppan

The castle Hocheppan is open daily for hikers, art lovers and medieval fans.  

Location:
The castle Hocheppan is situated high above the Val d’Adige and offers a panoramic view over the Ötztal alps, the Dolomites and to the capital city of South Tyrol: Bolzano.

History:
Lord Ulrich II built the castle around the year 1130 and it was one of the most majestic noble’s residences in the country. In 1158, the castle was destroyed, but soon after again rebuilt and in 1315, it was handed over to the sovereigns of Tyrol and from that time on, the castle changed owner from time to time. Since 1911, the castle had been in possession of the Earls of Enzenberg. In 2016, the local authority of Appiano has bought the castle. Among the numerous preserved castles in South Tyrol, Hocheppan is one of the most impressive medieval castles.

Architecture style and particularities:
Castle Hocheppan is the perfect combination of natural beauty and the romance of a medieval castle. Art lovers should visit the well-preserved castle chapel with its precious fresco cycle, which is one of the best-preserved frescos all over Tyrol.

Opening hours:
Thursday to Tuesday from 10:00 to 18:00 pm
Wednesday closed (03. – 10. July closed)

Guides of art history:
The castle chapel and the castle Hocheppan can be visited with a guided tour every day between 11 am and 4 pm.
11 am Castle guide | duration ca. 45 min.
12 noon Kapellenführung | duration ca. 30 min.
1 pm Castle guide | duration ca. 45 min.
2 pm Castle guide | duration ca. 45 min.
3 pm Castle guide | duration ca. 45 min.
4 pm Kapellenführung | duration ca. 30 min.
For more information feel free to contact the tourist information Eppan: [email protected], +39 0471 662206.

Shuttle to the castle:
​For visitors who are not good on their feet, there is the possibility to book a shuttle bus to the Castle and back via this number: +39 338 5879545. Ernst Niedermayr will accept your requests any time.

Entrance fee:

Adults 7,00 €
Students and seniors 5,00€
Proups from 15 persons 4,00€
Children up to 14 years 3,00€
School classes – per student 2,50€
Family card 16,00€

 

Contact
Tourism Office Eppan
Rathausplatz 1
39057 Eppan
+39 0471-662206

The ruin Leuchtenburg | Kaltern

How to rerach the ruin Leuchtenburg

 

Even though not technically part of Kaltern municipality, the ruins of Leuchtenburg are surrounded by legends and are, to all effects, part of the ensemble of Kaltern.

Built in 1250 by the Lords of Rottenburg, it was protected by its location and an imposing circular wall. Many of the Rottenburg castles were destroyed after their conflict with Duke Friedrich IV. of Tryol in 1410. Yet the Leuchtenburg was transferred to the sovereign that lent it out to the respective captains in Kaltern. For a long period of time, the Leuchtenburg was also the seat of the Judge of Kaltern. In the 17th century, the location stopped being used and was left to fall in ruins. Parts of the circular wall and the Palace with the 15th century frescoes are still preserved.

Opening hours:
Open all year

Admission free! 

Kontakt:
Tourismusverein Kaltern
Marktplatz 8
39052 Kaltern
+39 0471-963169